Sep 29, 2010

Flash 001 : Working with Manual Flash..for new new new bees like ME!

About two months back I bought a manual LP160 flash to explore the world of flash photography with my Nikon D90. The flash arrived in a box with a strange looking cable which had the headphone jack (3.8mm) on one side and one strange looking jack on the other. Two similar ports were available on the flash.

I always wanted to buy a flash to explore the world of off camera photography. I knew something about D90 that it can be fired in a commander mode and that LP160 was able to work as slave but that's where all my knowledge ended.

It all started as an ordeal to figure out how to work with the flash. To be very frank I tried all the things but since I didn't have the opportunity to buy stuff easily online it took me a long long time to figure out the options irrespective of the fact that so much information was available on Storbist. Amazing tutorial but I guess I needed a lot more explanation to understand the basic terminology like Quad sync !

So I read more and at least now theoretically I understand how the set up works. So I thought I will write about it so that some one new (i doubt if there are people as novice as me !).

Making the Right Connections

Before I jump in to the details we are talking about Manual stuff. This is like using a lens mounted on a reversal ring. Everything needs to be adjusted manually and no NIKON iTTL will be available. Don't worry even if you don't know what it is. In fact it helps if you don't know it in some ways :). For those who are still interested it's like auto flash management system which integrated the flash with the camera

Nikon D90 allows any manual flash to be attached on the Hot Shoe. This works perfect but the real fun was to move the flash off-camera. This is straight out of the box and I guess one hardly needs any help on this one.

Other Off-Camera Flash Options

And when I say others I mean "FREE" or which require minimum investment. There are two broad categories wired options (messy but reliable) plus non-wired aka remote options.

Better aka Expensive Off-Camera Flash Options

Radio Triggers

To be contd.




External References and Links

1. Flash Triggering Excellent guide:
2. Discussion Forum Threads here , here and here

No comments: