Mar 15, 2011

Missed another birthday ...not anymore !

Are you good at remembering dates and occasions especially the birthdays and anniversaries?

This one is starting with a question and how you answer that question together with the fact that statistically speaking (obviously in my humble opinion and made up like most other statistical interpretations are biased by statistician’s perceptions) if you are “he” - the probability is higher that your answer will be affirmative. I guess Mother Nature programmed the fairer sex with the universal ability to remember these occasions. I accept it. I am so terribly bad at it that I once wished my parents one month before their anniversary. My moment of enlightenment and at the very moment of embarrassment I realized that I needed a solution and no number of reminders or whatever can help me.

Frankly speaking the whole ruckus around birthdays and anniversary has always been beyond comprehension for me. It’s just a bloody date or may be on the other extreme it’s kind of a personal new year. Approximately put there are about 3-4 million people being born in the world every day and every year going forward there will be an addition of about 3-4 million people who will share their birthday with me or with your girl friend or whatever ! Somehow for a King or a Queen it was a great sense of being in the center of the world but really speaking somehow I feel we are imitating Kim Jong II in some way. Flattery and pampering at its best but yes the whole world is doing many things that way and hence it is kind of in sync.

Anyways the embarrassment was painful. Necessity they say is the mother of invention and I wanted a fool proof way. We are not talking about any technique or gadget or anything at that level. I decided to simplify the whole process itself. Lots of thoughts and then I decided to reengineer the process itself. So on my birthday two years back I called up my buddies instead of waiting for their calls or accusing some of them for not calling. Some of them were overwhelmed and I am not talking about just friends these guys are the inner circle – sorry if you didn’t receive this call but I guess it was about 90% coverage and I indeed asked for a gift.  Please call me on your birthday.

Tinkerbell Cupcake Cake - front

I guess there are few things in life which work this way. I have been receiving calls throughout the year. I would have felt guilty about missing almost all of these birthdays but now I don’t have to. Sometimes the call is very simple. One of my friends just whispered “today is the day” – sometimes all you need is to be reminded because we are not absent minded folks. The gang here all remembers much more complicated stuff on top of their head but it’s just that we miss few things!

So I don’t know if you need a watch to know the day of week and date or may be your eyes move towards the nearest calendar but if it does and you are struggling too - try this one out and don’t forget to tell me J I will be eagerly waiting.


3 comments:

Sudeep said...

Lets see if you call me on May 15th. :) Dobi, whats in a date, i dont believe in any process to remember these dates including the one you suggest to remember your own birthday. I had to look up certain official documents to pick up the date above. Cheers mate, chill madi.

Vagabond said...

Bang on Sudeep.
I like it the way you put it what's in a date. Let's see who calls whom :)

Bindu@Hyderabad said...

what is all this probability and statistics.. kyoo yaar blog mein bhi itnee dhimaak khaana zaroori hai kyaa?? We all know you are good in Statitistics!!