Oct 22, 2013

The Running and Cooling Catharsis - bliss

I am new to running. It's an important disclaimer to put because I think I have not even run 300kms till date and am still wearing the same running shoes. I started running because of my wife - she kept on telling me that running in the gym makes her feel strange kind of goodness and she kept on bringing it on until I gave up to try. The running was restricted to the treadmill in the gymnasium of our condominium in Malaysia.

We ran together for few weeks and then I kind of started falling in love with the act of running. Especially because I have never been one of those sports guys - never.

Then I moved to Bangalore as I keep on shuffling between Bangalore where I work and Kuala Lumpur where my wife lives. I have an active group in Bangalore a small group - where people have run marathons and actively do and are always looking for someone to run with. Thanks to Nani, Mithun I started running on the road - and boy it was different.  It was like running again.

And I started running whenever I could find a chance twice, thrice and sometimes even five times a week. My best till date is 30.05 minutes for a 5 KM but that is not what I want to share.

The focus on time and distance sometimes just blocks me and takes away the joy of running. So sometimes especially in KL I have not been tracking anything except for my distance which I check on the map. I run at my own sweet pace.

Yesterday something even more beautiful happened. I came back after my 5.8 KM run and the lights were out in the bedroom and I sat in front of the table fan. I had just finished my basic stretching and done a 5 min cool down. And then unknowingly I moved into the yoga sitting pose and closed my eyes. Sitting in the padmasana I didn't realize when I entered the state and just blanked out.

Awesome meditative state because I guess catharsis kicked in !

Try it out for yourself and if you like the experience - do share it with me.

No comments: