Aug 23, 2005

the iPOD insider story..dirty little secret


few times I have bought a product and regretted so much as of after buying my iPOD. Using an iPOD is a good experience but after knowing what apple says iPOD service an shocked...

The following is the information available in the FAQ at the official website

What happens when an iPod is serviced?
iPod equipment sent in for service is replaced with functionally equivalent new, used, or refurbished iPod equipment. Service is prcessed through AppleCare's direct mail-in system. You will not receive the same iPod that was sent in for service. If your original iPod was personalized by Apple, your replacement iPod will be automatically personalized with the same text.


and in case u thought that was all, read this.

Will the data on my iPod be preserved?
No. Songs and files will not be transferred to your replacement iPod. Make sure to back up important files, and to remove all data from your iPod before sending it to Apple. Apple is not responsible for any data sent to it in connection with service.


I have just pointed out to what apple says.

Want to read more..read about the battery replacement program here

I don't know what to say....but as some one pointed out...every rose has its thorn.

iPOD is a product marketed with lots of marketing n people like me really know nothing about it except for the music experience...feel cheated in the end.

Why must not you buy an iPOD ?

a) The battery is non user reaplacable. Though apple has come a long way from the intial days when the battery was not at all replaceable n lasted only 18 months...it was official policy at apple to ask customers to buy a new iPOD instead of asking for a replacement.

b) The iTUNES software. Its hell bad of a software and bulky.

c) You can only transfer files into the iPOD and thats it. If u hvae ideas like okay you will go and copy music on ur iPOD to a friends computer or ur own machine forget it unless u r using in USB harddrive modes..but in this mode u can't play the songs on the iPOD.

d) When I send my iPOD for a battery replacement I will get someone else's iPOD which can even be a refurbished one. Imagine the same u send your laptop for replair n they send u someone else's machine.....this is unberable to me....
So option u r iPOD u inveted in is just a 1.5 years gadget..fucking expensive deal


Pity me I have a 30 GB photo iPOD I bought for 618 dollars in Singapore. I am extremely satisfied with the experience of listening to my iPOD but extremely disturbed about the hidden information which apple never talks about.

More information is available here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can it be true.
I was planning to buy an iPOD but now I think u have made me think twice.

BTW what is the price of the battery?

Vagabond said...

yes it is true. 100% true

Your iPOD whatever care u take for it doesn't matter coz when u send it for battery replacement might be replaces with some one else's..which may in face has been a lot experimented with.

Battery is something around 65 USD.

Better think about options like Sony which gives you 40 hrs of play time and the battery can be replaced by the user itself and what not even cheaper than the iPOD.

iPOD is hype n hip...thats all about it.

Anonymous said...

I have changed my plans and will never buy an iPOD. U know these big companies spend more money on creating hype than product itself. In fact I too was carried away by hype , its good that people like u are there to tell reality. I am confident that many "would be" customers will get aware through ur blog.

I am really concerned about service part (that replacement thing). Its atrocious , I can never use other chaps iPOD (either used or abused), I think a consumer product which you love is like your extended self. And replacing original product is like adultery.Apple fellows should read this else it will at best "LOOSE" customers.

Vagabond said...

its like disovering one day that your partner is going to be swapped...

adultery...coz someone does it to you.

I really feel sad ..that apple did it.