May 13, 2006

the concept of critical path

Project management is one activity every aspiring developer wants to take on as eary as possible. When you look at the PM aka Project Manager you tend to like his job so much. This guy never needs to actually poke his head through the messy lines of code, never needs to debug, is only asking people about deadlines "WHY" and "WHEN", all the thinking he needs to do is about the documentation in either MS Word or MS Excel or max MS PowerPoint. Not only is the work looks so easy to do and what a handsome salary he is paid for all this easy task.
This is so natural to happen."GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER" on the other side and this ain't any exception.

How cna i say so coz I was in the developer team in fact even now I am but the only difference is that I am also looking at some things yes I will say some thigns because its such a big thing to handle and I am such a small fly I cannot say I am doing REAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT. I am not even ready for taking up that activity. Why because there are certain aspects to it I only realized when i stepped into the shoes.Primarily because

a) Users and Bosses in general are pretty unreasonable people
b) Users and bosses are human beings and have seasoned with experience
c) Deadlines are real
d) Resources - money (read resources) and time are limited

Amidst these pressures there is this guy struggling to keep a balance into what the clients demand...what they want as he needs to get the job done from his team. He needs to make sure that he envisages all activities which may or may not happen.He needs to plan and not only plan he needs to execute those plans. He needs to protect his team from the outside world and make life easier for them otherwise thr productivity and efficiency is at stake.

What I will say he does a heculean job. That is one reason that we apreciate only few of the managers and call a lot of them "Excel PM". Nothing wrong to it but mananging activities so that overall duration of the project is not exceeded requires much more than a human being has to offer. Thats what makes a successful PM different from all others. The real hero !!!

Sometimes this even means for him to lay himself down on the critical path to bridge the gaps.

So for today I wish someday I will become one "PM".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Is this Vaibhav Dobriyal from KV FRI Dehra 1997 batch? If yes pls pls pls can u confirm so in ur next post

Vagabond said...

yep it is the same guy..

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Many thanks for confirming and apologies for the intrusion. I've been trying to locate an old school friend (the last time I saw her was 15 years ago!!). Its been an year since I started searching and you are the first lead. Please please can you help me? Her name is Nandita Negi and I think she was from the same batch as you at KV FRI.Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks again.