Jun 28, 2012

ICU Stories - The Critical Care Doctors

With all due respect to the noble profession of doctors - I guess not everything is too well. The profession needs a thorough medical check up and may be intervention cause too much is at stake. In India doctors have been raised to the level of Gods. Yeah if you are an outsider and don't agree you haven't really seen it. Doctors are literally worshipped and no questions are usually asked - may br because doctors did save lives and secondly because of the illiteracy and poverty. This is even more so in rural and government hospitals.

Few things have changed now however - internet boom and the high penetration of internet. And doctors don't seem to like it ! At least the ICU doctors.

First of all let me say I respect doctors. The trauma patients and attendants are always serious. There are restrictions on visiting hours and all that but imagine 21 beds for 1 senior duty doctor and 1 junior. Hats off the system runs in India and the cost vs. quality is very much in favor of patients.

What am I cribbing about then ?

* The doctors are rarely discussing things. The information never includes relevant details until you ask and know what needs to be asked

* Processes and declarations are brought out for signatures but never explained. Dad has been subjected to four spinal taps or lumber puncture for CSF tests - never was I explained the risks. One of my friend explained me the signs to watch out for and potential risks and trust me not many in India have access to such awesone knowledgeable friends.

* Details of treatment - the doctors never disclose the details unless asked about persistently and why is it important? Dad had a stent put in post his MI or heart attack and there is a critical drug he is on for at least two years. The drug was stopped because he was suspected of some blood in urine and we were not updated. So far so good but then they forgot to start it ! Imagine that and it can potentially lead to another blockade and what not !

* The side effects - Dad was on steroids for eight months due to a rare condition called PMR - a kind of rehumatic fever. The steroids are immuno suppressants - we were never disclosed the fact that it induces a similar condition like HIV. He got infected with fungal (cryptococcal) menningitis - a fatal disease which is associated with people having severely low immunity.

And I have come across a doctor who said to me "leave the technical details to us"; "what do you do" in a tone which meant stay out of this you are not a doctor; "did u read that out of internet" in a tone which meant idiot u have no clue - isn't it strange. I have been attending to Dad full time for a month - if I can manage complex supply chains why shouldn't I try to understand my Dad's treatment.

I will try to read every report and document because I have time which means even if I might not be relevant but I can still ask layman logical questions.

However dear doctors either raise level of service for everyone or please be prepared for more concerns and questions being raised. By the way if we step back and see - it is a service being offered and patients are paying for it ! We have the duty to not cross the line but yes it will be difficult to dodge questions and hide behind technical details

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is very nice blog. I am impressed. Book online to Consult Critical Care Doctors at Connect2mydoctor. For more info: https://www.connect2mydoctor.com/